Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Importance of Learning From My Mistakes

I have written so many blogs that haven't made it to being published. This past year has been one of much reflecting and learning. Years ago, when Andrea would come home from school with a quiz or test she had written and she wasn't happy with her mark I remember asking her "Do you understand what you did wrong?" and I'd also say, "The important thing isn't that you made mistakes but that you learned from them." I remember trying to teach her that mistakes are victories if you learn from them. If you've learned from your mistakes then you can be thankful for them and move on. It is all a part of the learning process and growing up.

I can only hope and pray that I am able to practice what I've preached. Mistakes are costly and some mistakes cost us more than others. I am trying really hard these days to keep focused on what I've learned from my mistakes and what I'd do different in the same situations. Also, I'm asking myself if I have extended grace and showed mercy to those who have made mistakes that affect me? I thank God for His patience and long suffering with me and I pray that I will learn to extend that same grace and mercy He has so lavishly extended to me.
Romans 8:26-28
In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

No comments: