Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Giving out of wealth or poverty?

Mark 12:41-44
The Widow's Offering
Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins,worth only a fraction of a penny.
Calling His disciples to Him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

After reading/listening through the Gospel of Mark one of the things I have been challenged to examine is my heart's attitude when I serve and worship the Lord. Do I give "safely" out of the wealth of my money or do I give with "reckless abandonment" out of the poverty of my money? Do I give sparingly of my 24 hour day and only when it is convenient for me to do so or do I give generously of my time whether I "feel" like it or not?

No comments: