Sunday, February 22, 2009

Thankful for this gift of friendship.

I have just had the privilege of attending the memorial service of a woman who was such a dear friend. It was the most beautiful memorial service I have ever attended. Her sons and daughters sang worship songs and one of her sons gave the message. Having this family in my life over the past couple of years has been such a blessing. A true and timely gift from the Lord. In some really personal dark times it has been the comforting words of this dear family that brought so much encouragement to my heart. They truly model Christ and spur us on to do the same in our lives. I could share anything with them and know that they'd pray faithfully for our family. We would have never gotten to know this family had we not moved to Regina. The Lord gave us joy out of sorrow by connecting us with this family.
I will miss my dear friend but I know she is in the presence of her Lord and Savior and as her son said yesterday, she is finally able to love the Lord with all her heart, soul and mind. I will miss her tenderness and openness. I will also miss the prayer support and understanding heart that brought so much comfort to those people who knew her.
As I stood and participated at the graveside service I was brought back to the two other times that I had stood in that same cemetery and watched as my own parents' coffins were committed into the ground. This time though there was solid assurance that my dear sister in Christ was indeed with her Savior. The atmosphere was sad but not despairing. There is such blessed assurance when we trust and believe in the salvation provided for us in Jesus Christ. I am so thankful that the Lord has kept me in relationship with Himself over these years and I rejoiced yesterday for the gift of this wonderful friendship that drew me closer to Him.

No comments: