Sunday, March 8, 2009

Polluting the temple of God.

My thoughts as of late have been focused on how I may be polluting the temple of God. In my Bible readings I see time and time again how the Lord abhors the mixing of anything worldly with His people or His ways or His Words. I want to understand and know the Lord and so when I read that His character doesn't change, that Jesus Christ is the same today as He was yesterday and so on....then I must not ignore how the Lord's heart is grieved and angered when I/we change or add to what He has revealed about Himself in Scripture. It seems the movement among churches and Christians today is to let our emotions guide our discernment. If it brings me warm fuzzies and serves "my" purpose then I/we easily justify it before God even though it is contrary to His Word. I/we distort how He has revealed Himself in His Living Word and I/we try to mix my/our own opinions in just to "tweak" it up a bit. This is polluting and defiling the temple of God because as a born again believer He dwells in me and I am participating in and taking the twisted truths into my mind and heart and influencing others to do the same. Since when did it become ok to portray God any other way than the way He has already portrayed Himself? When did the creation become arrogant enough to re-write the Creator? Well, here is just a portion of Scripture that addresses such behavior:
1 Sam 12:20-25
Samuel said to the people, "Do not fear. You have committed all this evil, yet do not turn aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart.
You must not turn aside, for then you would go after futile things which can not profit or deliver, because they are futile. For the LORD will not abandon His people on account of His great name, because the LORD has been pleased to make you a people for Himself. Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you; but I will instruct you in the good and right way. Only fear the LORD and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you. But if you still do wickedly, both you and your king will be swept away."

No comments: