Monday, May 5, 2008

Cry out for this nourishment!

What a battle to get to church yesterday. Some Sunday mornings it is like a battlefield in our house. My thoughts are "Lord, this is not what today is all about! It is time to focus on You and worship You and be drawn to You!" Really all week long this is our mandate as Christians but for some reason Sunday mornings seem much more intense a battle. Now I know that I could list off all the things that set the tone for Sunday morning but it would be a feeble attempt to make myself feel better and excuse my part in the tension that existed.
What does make me feel better is to focus on the Lord's goodness and long suffering and remember that He is faithful. Despite the start to our morning, on our way to church under the leadership of my dear husband we were able to pray together as a family. I felt the heaviness in my heart lift as Harley prayed. Then, as I engaged in the service and heard a sermon that cut right into my heart I knew why it was such a battle Sunday morning to keep us from focusing on the Lord. That sweet pure fellowship with the Lord is something to be craved; we are to "cry out for this nourishment". We need it to survive as His children. Worshipping the Lord and praising Him is one avenue of nourishment. The battles are to keep us from worshipping Him. Part of the Scripture Harley preached from that spoke to my heart was
1 Peter 2:1-3 NLT "So get rid of all evil behavior. Be done with all deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and all unkind speech. Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, now that you have had a taste of the Lord’s kindness."
I heard from the Lord yesterday and really appreciated Harley's faithfulness in preaching from the source that offers "pure spiritual milk". I so long to "grow into a full experience of salvation" as Scripture puts it. Thank you Lord for You and Your love expressed in and through Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and Your Living Word. And thank you for using Harley to speak to me and others Sunday morning.

No comments: